The 2020-2021 academic year has not had a regular start, schools have had to reinvent themselves in order to guarantee a COVID-free environment. Marked by the pandemic, masks and hydroalcoholic gels, children have returned to the classroom to continue their social, cognitive and emotional development.
Institutes and schools have had to reinvent themselves in order to guarantee a COVID-free environment and safe facilities and circuits for their teachers and students. Strong security measures to preserve health :
- Use of a mask from the age of six.
- Methodical hand washing .
- T oma temperature before entering the premises (see at what temperature is considered fever ).
- In many schools the passage of parents or caregivers to the educational center has been restricted.
Despite the measures adopted, a part of the families had chosen not to take their child to school . The fear of infecting risky cohabitants , the reluctance to receive classes in unpleasant conditions and the uncertainty of not being able to plan life in the face of possible confinement are some reasons. On the other hand, with the work-life balance and the socialization needs of children weigh a lot and they need a “new or not” normality, but close to what we previously knew.
A necessary and beneficial return for them
After six months of confinement this year, going back to school could be more beneficial than ever for children. The fear of adults falls on children, so it is important to give the message that going back to school is something positive by being responsible and taking the safety measures that the health authorities advise us. They are the new social behaviors after the Covid , such as recovering the routine, friends, learning and development opportunities should weigh more in the balance than fear.
Studies such as the Kids Corona carried out at the Sant Joan de Déu Hospital in Barcelona provide reassuring data. At the beginning of the pandemic, children were confined in order to protect them, since we did not know how the virus was going to behave in such a vulnerable population.
The research team of the Kids Corona platform has systematically analyzed samples of more than 2,000 participants in summer activities in the Barcelona area for five weeks. The result has been that infected children are less infectious than adults.
The study shows that the distribution of children in “bubble” groups is effective in containing the transmission of infection, in facilitating the traceability of contacts and in allowing selective quarantine. In addition, washing hands in a protocolized way five or more times a day has been associated with a decrease in the transmission of the disease .
Tips for returning to school safely
Schools have become very aware and families must also reinforce prevention and security measures to minimize risks:
- Hand washing with hydroalcoholic gel or soap and water before and after eating, after going to the bathroom and when you get home.
- Take off your shoes at the entrance of the house.
- I will change school clothes as soon as I get home and wash them every day.
- Sanitize bathrooms and kitchens with detergents that contain a percentage of bleach.
- Use napkins, tablecloths and disposable tissues in schools.
- Wash the lunch boxes and cutlery in the dishwasher at 60º
- Avoid touching your eyes and nose
- Use of a mask from 6 years.
- Maintain interpersonal distance of 1.5 m except with the family nucleus.
- Do not take children to school if they are sick , have a fever, cough or diarrhea.
- In the classroom, take the temperature of children who have coughs, snot or have poor general condition. If they are over 37 degrees, they will need to isolate it until their parents pick it up.
Fear of contagion
The great challenge that parents and teachers must face is overcoming the fear of contagion . It is recommended to freely express and share what we feel, since fear is a valid and normal feeling.
The best way to combat it is to talk about what causes it in us and give information that reassures the child. In this sense, convey to them the importance of respecting safety regulations and protocols to protect our health in the new normal .
What you should know…
- It is convenient to convey to the little ones the importance of respecting safety regulations and protocols to protect our health.
- It is essential to carry out some routines such as hand washing with hydroalcoholic gel or soap and water before and after eating, after going to the bathroom and when you get home.
- Likewise, take off your shoes at the entrance of the house, as well as change your school clothes as soon as you get home and wash them every day.