In recent years, coconut water has become a substitute or complement to specific sports drinks, let’s find out what it can bring us.
Coconut water is the liquid that is found inside the fruit, the greener the fruit, the more abundant and rich in nutrients its water is. It is an ideal drink to rehydrate after physical activity.
What are the benefits of coconut water?
Few studies have been carried out in the sports field , but the results have been positive and supported by several scientific associations, what should you know?
- It provides very good hydration after physical exercise due to its contribution of glucose and sodium, potassium and chlorine as the main electrolytes.
- It has a sweet and smooth flavor that provides good palatability, thus favoring drinking an adequate amount of liquid and at a good pace (necessary for proper hydration while performing or after sports activity), and it does not cause nausea or a feeling of fullness.
- It has five times more potassium than the well-known isotonic drinks.
Rehydrate with coconut water, yes or no?
Studies show positive qualities with respect to coconut water, and there are no known negative effects, it is a good natural and healthy alternative to commercial isotonic drinks on the market, which are often not well tolerated.
It is true that natural coconut water contains less sodium and glucose than commercial isotonic drinks, being less effective in achieving optimal rehydration, but some scientists affirm that being more palatable, it stimulates a greater intake, and when drinking more it compensates the nutrient difference.
Some scientists highlight its high potassium and low sodium content, which is why they suggest enriching coconut water with sodium to achieve a greater similarity in said isotonic composition with body fluids.
Other properties attributable to coconut water
Some studies support other properties of coconut water: the greener the fruit, the greater benefits it provides , such as:
- Keeps the body cool and prevents temperature rises.
- It is a good diuretic.
- Helps maintain correct blood pressure.
- It is very rich in mineral salts that participate in the mineralization of bones.
- It has antiseptic action.
- Helps maintain a good skin condition.
We can say that due to its slight sweet taste, its good tolerance and its fantastic hydration make coconut water a natural alternative suitable for restoring the large losses of fluid and electrolytes after sports practice. Also, if you do sports, you are interested in knowing that if you have any questions regarding the athlete’s diet, it is important to have the recommendation of a specialist.
- The greener the fruit, the more abundant and nutrient-rich its water is and, therefore, the greater benefits it provides.
- Coconut water provides very good hydration after physical exercise due to its contribution of glucose and sodium, potassium and chlorine as the main electrolytes.
- For questions regarding the athlete’s diet, health and habits, some insurances include exclusive advisory services by experts in nutrition and sports medicine.