Children can become dehydrated from gastroenteritis, diarrhea, or even excessive heat. Oral serum is the best liquid that children and adults can consume to rehydrate. We tell you how to make homemade oral serum!
Diarrhea is the leading cause of dehydration among children, although it can also be caused by gastroenteritis. Also, the hottest months are especially critical times, because high temperatures favor the development of microorganisms, thus increasing the proliferation of foodborne infections . Therefore, it is very useful to know how to prepare oral serum to rehydrate the little ones safely in case of dehydration.
Symptoms of dehydration
If the child is less active than normal, you may suspect that he is suffering from possible dehydration, especially if he has any of these other symptoms:
- Dry mouth and lips
- That the child has not urinated for several hours
- Hollow eyes
- General weakness
- Dry eye, lack of tears
Oral serum serves to replace mineral salts and sugar
The Spanish Association of Primary Care Pediatrics indicates that, during an episode of diarrhea, gastroenteritis or even a high fever, the best option is to offer them fluids in small amounts many times throughout the day.
Despite this, if there is dehydration, water alone is not enough , as it will not replace the lost mineral salts and sugars . Nor will other beverages such as fruit juices, commercial sports drinks or soft drinks be enough , and may even make diarrhea worse.
The best option is the oral serum that can be bought at the pharmacy , but it can also be prepared at home , always following the appropriate hygienic measures and adding the correct proportions of each ingredient. The serum promotes rehydration due to its contribution of water and mineral salts:
- The salts have the ability to retain the liquid and thus avoid evacuating it
- Sugar replenishes lost calories
- Lemon and baking soda have astringent properties that relieve digestive discomforts such as cramps and nausea.
How to prepare oral serum at home?
Before starting to prepare the homemade serum, we must not forget to wash our hands properly.
- 1 liter of boiled water.
- 1 heaping tablespoon of sugar.
- 1 dessert spoon of salt.
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda.
- The juice of one lemon.
- Boil the water for 15-20 minutes.
- When the water is warm, transfer it to a clean bottle, preferably glass.
- Add all the ingredients mixing well until completely dissolved.
- Let it cool down.
- Put in the fridge for better conservation.
- Offer it once it is cold.
How to take the oral serum?
The serum must be taken the same day of preparation and discarded every 24 hours after preparation. Small sips should be taken throughout the day . For younger children it can be offered with a syringe or tablespoons.
In cases of diabetes , it is not always indicated. You should consult your doctor about the most suitable type of formulation to combat dehydration. Nor is home serum recommended when the symptoms are very strong and persist over time, when in doubt you should always go to the doctor for personalized treatment.
Once recovered, we must not forget to hydrate them properly: offer water throughout the day, as children tend to forget to drink if they are having fun. Consume fruits and vegetables throughout the day and with main meals, other refreshing options can be cold soups, milk or natural fruit juice.
When to see a doctor for dehydration
Whenever we have doubts, we will consult with our pediatrician, especially if the child presents any of the signs of dehydration mentioned above or if after starting with the oral serum he does not improve or continues with many vomiting.
When we talk about dehydration in babies , those who exclusively feed on breast milk are advised to continue breastfeeding on demand, it is usually enough to rehydrate adequately, in the case of babies who are fed with formula milk , it is the pediatrician who will guide the amounts of additional electrolyte solution if deemed necessary.
What you should know…
- If there is dehydration, the best option is the oral serum that you can buy at the pharmacy, but you can also prepare oral serum at home.
- For its preparation, proper hygienic measures must be followed and the correct proportions of each ingredient must be added.
- The serum must be taken the same day of preparation and discarded every 24 hours after preparation. Small sips should be taken throughout the day.