The news of a pregnancy is one of the most shocking in the psychic and emotional life of a woman. During the following 9 months the woman will experience psychological and emotional changes
The news of a pregnancy is one of the most shocking in the psychic and emotional life of a woman. From that moment, a nine-month stage begins in which emotions are on the surface and the easy tear can appear at any moment. So don’t worry if you find yourself crying at a Christmas announcement, startled by the cry of a baby, or get overly affected by someone else’s words that previously went unnoticed.
What is happening is that while you are carrying a baby, a new identity is also being born in you, the identity of being a mother, and that you will have to discover by venturing into the sensations, emotions and thoughts that will appear as the months go by.
Psychological and emotional changes every trimester
The first trimester of pregnancy is certainly contradictory. Few physical changes appear in the body , yet many things are removed internally.
- Why if my head tells me that I am happy, I feel sad? How can it be that if I am happy, I am afraid? It is possible that during this period you have mixed and even contradictory feelings. And, one of the main characteristics of these months is emotional ambivalence . It seems that women, we can feel all that at the same time, just like that, and this is sometimes difficult to digest.
- You are also likely to feel nauseous, sleepy, and tired . How wise is the body! Have you realized that these symptoms make you stop? And the function of these signals is to force you to stop the frantic pace in which we live, it helps you to become aware of what is happening and to connect with the baby you are carrying.
- It may be that you also feel clueless, absent, dazed or in your world, but in no way have you been “stupid” or have you lost intellectual faculties, or memory, or anything of all those things that they usually tell you. You just have all your cognitive resources put on something more important; mentally prepare for the big change in your life.
- It is important that you know that it is at this stage that unresolved conflicts from the past begin to be removed, and this thought about childhood can make you feel agitated.
In this second trimester, nausea and fatigue usually subside and give way to a feeling of well-being, energy and general calm. The psychological barrier of 12 weeks is already overcome and every day you are more certain that this pregnancy will succeed. It is a stage of illusion.
- The pregnant belly is already beginning to be evident and most women accept it with pride, understanding it as part of the process. There are others, on the other hand, who experience bodily changes in a very traumatic way, concerned about recovering their pre-pregnancy figure as soon as they give birth. But you are not fat, you are pregnant , which is different, and one thing is to take care of yourself and another, to obsess.
- These months he fantasizes about what the baby will be like . You will feel the need to give it the characteristics that define us in the extrauterine world, that is, to provide it with a physical image and a personality, which will generally be associated with the agitation or calm that the mother perceives within the gut.
- It is also a period in which the sexual appetite tends to increase and sexual intercourse is enjoyed a lot. Take advantage of this moment! The final stage of pregnancy and postpartum are often characterized by the opposite.
There is little left for the time of delivery and you may start to get scared and anguished about it, especially if you are a first time. In this period, thoughts of the type are very common, what if the anesthesia puts me wrong? What if the baby is not born well? What if there are complications for both? Fortunately, in 2011 the document “The birth plan” was created with the aim that women can express and record their wishes, needs and preferences in writing about the birth of their child before it occurs. And this, together with the childbirth preparation classes , help you feel in control, in the face of a situation perceived as uncontrollable and in the hands of health personnel.
Anyway, it is normal to feel fearful before giving birth, childbirth is an unknown situation and we have heard about a thousand times. Now it’s up to you to live it and discover what your story will be.
What you should know…
- As the months go by, new sensations, emotions and thoughts appear related to the birth of a new identity in women, that of being a mother.
- In the first trimester it is possible to have mixed and even contradictory feelings. And, one of the main characteristics of these months is emotional ambivalence
- In the second trimester, once the psychological barrier of 12 weeks has been overcome , every day you are more certain that this pregnancy will succeed. It is a stage of illusion.